Wednesday 26 June 2013

India Pale Ale (and an update on the WH Honey Ale)

Short one today, the IPA went without a hitch now I'm a bit more practiced at this whole beer lark.

This proceeded very much as normal; clean, sanitize, steep, boil, hop, cool, pitch. What I've realised is that I've used virtually the same ingredients for this as for the WH Honey Ale from last week, the only real difference being the absence of biscuit malt and honey. Different amounts and times for the hops, plus a little dry hopping should give a different flavour. Therein lies the experiment, how distinct can we make two beers with such similar ingredients?

IPA
White House Honey Ale (1 week)

The difference in colour between the two at this point (at least, at this early stage) is obvious. It's not immediately obvious in the photos, but the Honey Ale has an almost mahogany colour to it, the IPA that familiar pale ale colour. How much this correlates to the flavour, I'll have to wait and see.

The IPA's gravity came out at a decent 1.054; should come out at around 5.5% ABV hopefully.

Nice chunky sediment in the Honey Ale, Irish Moss doing its job.
I'm using Irish Moss again for this batch since, as you can see, it's done well gathering up all the proteins in the Honey Ale into nice big chunks. Conditioning and cold crashing the bottles before serving should further my cause for a lovely clear brew. Just as long as whoever drinks the things decants them properly, we should be golden.

I had to move the fermenter containing the honey ale out of the corner of my bedroom almost immediately; it just wasn't staying cold enough now the weather's decided to act a bit more June-like. After a brief stint in the garage where it was getting too cold at night, I finally settled it in the corner of the... well, I guess it's the laundry room, where it's a fairly stable 16°C.

All that's left is the unfamiliar beast, the braggot.

No comments:

Post a Comment